Friday, December 30, 2011

Preferential Treatment

It was never a mystery that my sister was the favorite of the two of us.  Over the past week I was reminded of one of the first times I realized this.

I'd asked Santa Claus for a gameboy for Christmas.  It was the only gift I wanted.  I'd play the display models at the stores and if I saw someone else playing theirs I'd ask if I could play for a little while.

Christmas morning rolled around and scoured the gifts under the tree looking for a package that might be the right size to hold a gameboy.  I opened all my gifts and sadly there wasn't one.  I was heartbroken. 

My parents told me if I wanted one that badly, I could save my money and buy one myself.  Of course, like any 8 year old, I HAD to spend my Christmas and birthday money the next day and I knew I was going to buy a game boy.  My mother made me wait a week until the Christmas rush died down, which I totally understand.  I don't exactly like shopping after Christmas because the stores are crazy. 

On the big day, I had just enough money to buy one that was the original size.  If I remember correctly, it came with a game so that was the only one I had to play.  I don't really remember much after that until it was time for school to start again in January.  I played my game boy all the way to school and my sister whined and complained that I wasn't sharing.  It wasn't fair that I got to play it all the time.

That day, when we got in the car after school, my mom said she got my sister a surprise.  A brand spanking new game boy.  A pocket sized one at that!

So there you have it.  I had to buy my own and a few days later my sister got a nicer version for free because she felt left out.

Happy Holidays to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment